- 60% of people who can ride a bike think the roads are too dangerous, including 71% of women and 66% of Londoners.
- 63% of Londoners who can ride a bike would cycle more if there were dedicated cycle paths.
- 90% of Londoners say cycling is the least safe form of transport.
- 33% of Londoners don't cycle because they think there is too much traffic or the roads are too dangerous, compared to 22% in UK as a whole.
- 62% of UK people 'haven't really thought about' cycling to work. 24% thought about it but decided not to.
Wednesday, 8 December 2010
People think cycling is dangerous
The UK Department for Transport have published the results of a very large and detailed survey into people's attitudes towards climate change and transport choices. There is a vast amount of information in the report and accompanying tables but I have just picked out some of the more interesting findings (for me anyway) on attitudes to cycling, particularly in London: